The Paleo diet emphasizes consuming whole, unprocessed and natural foods that were available to our hunter-gatherer ancestors. These delicious breakfast options focus on incorporating lean proteins, healthy fats, and lots of vegetables. Feel free to customize these recipes according to your taste preferences and dietary needs.
- Vegetable and Egg Scramble: Start your day with a hearty and nutritious vegetable and egg scramble. Sauté vegetables such as spinach, bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms in coconut oil or ghee. Add whisked eggs and cook until they are set. Season with salt, pepper, and any other preferred herbs or spices.
- Smoked Salmon and Avocado: Enjoy a protein-rich breakfast by combining smoked salmon with avocado. Be careful when selecting smoked salmon (some are loaded with lots of sugar and preservatives). Serve sliced smoked salmon on a bed of mixed greens or lettuce leaves and top it with avocado slices. You can add an egg, lemon juice, olive oil, and herbs for extra flavor.
- Sweet Potato Hash: Dice sweet potatoes and cook them in a skillet with some coconut oil until they are tender and lightly browned. You can add onions, bell peppers, and spices like paprika, cumin and minced garlic for added flavor. Serve the sweet potato hash with fried or poached eggs.
- Coconut Chia Pudding: Make a delicious and satisfying chia pudding by combining chia seeds with coconut milk, a dash of vanilla extract, and a natural sweetener like honey or maple syrup. Mix everything together and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, top it with fresh berries, sliced almonds, or shredded coconut. Tip – lightly toast almonds or shredded coconut for even more flavor!
- Bacon and Eggs: What’s not to love about bacon and eggs, and nothing screams Paleo more than meat. This is a great paleo breakfast option, however, only once or twice a week. There are more creative options, and you’ll need to find healthy, clean sources of pork. I recommend knowing your farmer and buying local. Nothing ruins good quality protein faster than feeding the animal a bunch of GMO grains (not the animal’s innate diet) and injecting a bunch of antibiotics and/or hormones.
- Avocado and Egg Toast: Toast a slice of paleo-friendly bread (such as almond flour bread or coconut flour bread) and top with sliced avocado and a fried egg. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper and enjoy!
- Blueberry & Greens Smoothie
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk (I prefer coconut cream)
- 1/2 banana
- 2/3 cup frozen blueberries
- 1-2 scoops collagen or protein
- 1 large handful of spinach, kale, or Swiss chard
- 1 tablespoon almond butter optional
- 1/2 a lime skin removed.
- 1/2 cup cilantro
INSTRUCTIONS – Add all ingredients inside a blender and blend until smooth.