Morning sickness is a common condition experienced by many women during pregnancy. While it is usually not harmful to the mother or the baby, it can be very uncomfortable.
Here are some of the Best Remedies for Morning Sickness:
- Eating Small, Frequent Meals: Eating smaller, more frequent meals can help to prevent the feeling of nausea that often occurs in the morning.
- Ginger: Ginger has been shown to be effective in reducing the symptoms of morning sickness. This can be consumed in the form of ginger tea, ginger candies, or ginger capsules.
- Chiropractic care: during pregnancy can help relieve morning sickness symptoms. Studies show that regular chiropractic care will not only make your back feel better, but it can also help with morning sickness, and aligning the spine and pelvis improves your nervous system function and can make delivery easier.
- Relieving Liver Congestion: according to Traditional Chinese Medicine, morning sickness is related to the stomach, spleen, and liver. During pregnancy, blood and Qi are strongly directed towards the pelvic area to nourish the womb and the developing fetus. This redirected energy may affect the digestive organs. By far, the most common Chinese medicine syndrome is Stagnant Liver Qi. Not surprising, since the main causes of stagnant liver Qi are stress, suppressing our emotions (especially anger) and medications, especially contraceptive medications. In these cases, I use AF-Betafood, a wholefood supplement from Standard Process which is quite helpful, because it thins the bile acids and relieves liver congestion.
- Acupuncture: acupuncture is a form of traditional Chinese medicine that involves the insertion of thin needles into specific points on the body. Some women have reported that acupuncture helps to relieve the symptoms of morning sickness.
- Vitamin B6: Vitamin B6 has been shown to be effective in reducing the symptoms of morning sickness. This vitamin can be obtained through dietary sources, or in the form of a supplement.
- Peppermint: Peppermint has been shown to help reduce the symptoms of morning sickness. This can be consumed in the form of peppermint tea, and some women swear by peppermint candies.
- Hydration: Staying hydrated is important for overall health and can also help to reduce the symptoms of morning sickness. Drinking plenty of water, clear fluids, and electrolyte-rich fluids can help to prevent dehydration and keep morning sickness under control.
- Rest and Relaxation: Getting enough rest and relaxation is important for overall health and well-being and can also help to reduce the symptoms of morning sickness.
There are no guaranteed remedies to treat morning sickness. However, most women find that some combination of the above interventions provides enough natural relief that they do not have to turn to prescription drugs.